Thursday, September 16, 2010

quatrefoil side tables

in this, my 100th post here at gathering moss, i'd like to give a shout-out to my readers. i'm not the most consistent poster on the planet, and i appreciate your sticking around to support me when i actually muster up some creativity. i prefer to post my own work here, so when life gets too busy for projects, posting falls behind. it warms my little heart when i get a comment or a new follower or run into someone who says they read my blog. a big bloggity hug to you all. aww.

and? a present! for you.

a while ago, i procured a pair of these beauts at an antique store. their quatrefoil shape remound me of omph's tini tables, recall? (p.s. i know remound is not the past tense of remind, but i like to pretend)



and then, makeover time. above is the before, and here's the after:

the new ring pull plays nicely off the ring shapes of the lamp, no?




paint/glaze/wax finish money shot:


though, as usual, my shoddy photography doesn't do the finish justice.

i followed martha's herringbone paint technique tutorial. done in a light glaze over dark chocolate paint and finished with a coat of black wax, it gave the table tops just the amount of subtle texture i wanted. and unlike the grasscloth i initially planned to use, this finish is relatively water safe! so my 'tini-toting pals don't have to worry so much about watermarking my 'tini table. shazam. (though we all know we are rife with coasters chez stone...)

when i went back in search of the oomph inspiration tables on the web today, know what i found? this gem:

which leads to the conclusion that a) i am a design genius b) i had seen this table sometime in the past, and my subconscious led me to believe that herringbone would look fab on my table tops. either way, i am pleased with my updated side tables. you like?

9 comments:

Hilary Dow Ward said...

You're a honey of a bee keeper. Great work, once again. I'm thinking perhaps we need to trade some piano lesson for some furniture painting.

mrs. jones said...

perfect, lauren! love them! excellent work!! xox

Anonymous said...

Hey Lala. After having seen the tables in person, I can say, the photos don't do them justice. They look great and so different! Great job.
xoxo

Denise C said...

I have fallen in love with this look. I can't quit thinking about it. This is the third time I've come back to the post.

Please tell me - what paint and glaze did you use? Also, I'm curious about the wax. Do you usually wax your furniture after painting. If so, what wax do you use. The wax may be my answer to making some of my tables more durable after painting. I don't like urethane.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your tables Lauren. The herringbone pattern is fabulous and really unique. I have never seen anything like that before.

Meg said...

Love, love, love!!! You did an amazing job! And it was so clever and creative of you!

lexie johnston said...

i read this when you first posted but i never commented. but confession: when you started talking about remound not being past tense i was all like "what is she talking about?" and then i realized that remound snuck right by me! i didnt even catch it! very nice and clever! and i love your ring lamp. the table is awesome but i cant stop looking at that lamp...

l.alden said...

Love this idea, and the application of the martha stewart herringbone paint technique!

l.alden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...