Thursday, February 11, 2010

frametastic

i found these glassless, backless frames in our attic stash:


and remembered an idea i'd seen somewhere in blogland that would serve as a solution to this problem:


i covered one in silver leaf and did a little brush-on-wipe-off action with some plain ole black craft paint (to tie in with the silver of my starburst mirror, bedside tables and the silver tv). i used a gold leaf paint pen on the other frame to highlight some detailing (to complement the dark wood and bronzey hardware of my bed, dresser and other mirror). then i bought a roll of screen door screen at the home deep and attached it to the back of the frames with my handy dandy staple gun. voila, earring holders slash wall decor!



i wanted to hang them as a mini-gallery-wall with a few other pieces in the corner of our bedroom. i also remembered learning a handy trick through the magic of blogs - taping up pieces of paper in the size of your frames to figure out the best arrangement before pokin' holes in your walls. i'm too thrifty-neurotic and full of eco-guilt to use regular paper, so i recycled some pages of a pottery barn catalog.

first, i laid out the frames on my bed in an arrangement i liked, and i ripped, folded and taped the catalog pages together on top of them:


i also drew a dot on each page to mark the location of the hanger on the frame. this i highly recommend. then i taped the pages on the wall, arranged them until satisfied and hammered the nails in based on the dots i'd drawn. when the nails were in, i just ripped the paper off:


easiest. hanging method. ever.

and here we have it:


some gals like shoes; i like statement jewelry. obviously. and those jewels look way better hanging in frames than they ever did piled up on my dresser. fo sho.

10 comments:

Catherine Nelson Sawyer said...

Lauren, I LOVE IT! When will you come decorate our apartment for me?! I do NOT have your creative genius brain! Hope things are going well! (Also, the word verification I have to type to post this comment is "prego." WTF). - Catherine (Sawyer)!

Unknown said...

You're, like, reading my mind or something. I so want to do this but lack an attic and, thus, stashed frames. I am now going to scrounge around with the picture frames I *do* have and make this. Someday. *loves earring art from afar*

Liz said...

CUTE!!!!! I have been contemplating this: http://www.decorpad.com/bookmark.htm?bookmarkId=3001 for a while.

Anonymous said...

okay, THAT is maybeoneofmyfavoritethingsever.

you're a genius! wanna come decorate my house & I'll cook for you as payment?

stephanie said...

perfect perfect perfect! xox

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I don't know if I'm more jealous of all the fantastic jewelry that you have or the cute display that you've come up with... it looks great!

Jamie Lee said...

These look great Lauren! I especially love the one that you did in silver leaf. I've been wanting to try that ever since I saw a tutorial on the Little Green Notebook.

Meg said...

Oh, totally gorg! Your bedroom is so glamorous! I am seriously jealous.

lauren @ gathering moss said...

thanks y'all! this was seriously SUCH an easy project. it can be done with any frame - you just need the screen and a staple gun, et voila!

Lost In Tarnation said...

I am going to have to steal this idea! We're in the process of renovating our master dressing room (sounds fancier than it is) and this would be perfect on one of the walls! Thanks for the idea!

(and I'm also extremely envious of all of the fantastic jewelry)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...